Monday, February 20, 2012

Prologue

For those of you who have ever had more than two conversations with me, I can almost guarantee you know one thing about me: I love pop culture, especially movies. I took a film class online in 6 days and got an A. I own more movies than any person should. I have a nickname based on a trivia question I got wrong once, because I apparently knew enough that I was just expected to get it right. I have a job that allows me to listen to movies on my iPod while I work. Yes, you listen to music, I listen to movies. I can discuss, debate, and quote movies for hours without a break. In fact, a conversation I had this past weekend is what sparked this blog. Granted, it's not like I wasn't already aware of this obsession, but I never wanted to start before because I felt that I have nothing worth saying. There are thousands upon thousands of mid-early 20 year old white males who blog about movies. What makes my opinion any different? Well, maybe nothing, but more importantly, maybe something. I am not doing this to make money nor to even gain a giant following. This blog is because I like discussing movies and now have a fantastic outlet for doing so. I don't like to just watch a film. I will watch it, log onto IMDb to read trivia about the film, then read the FAQs and message boards for different interpretations, then I will read reviews that I both agree and disagree with because I want to know what other people also thought. Sometimes this can completely change my opinion. The first time I watched the 2007 version of 3:10 to Yuma I was incredibly disappointed, until I read a different perspective that read it completely changed the movie. I now thoroughly enjoy 3:10 to Yuma. Hopefully I can provide this experience to someone at some point. I promise that I won't just complain about the blatant lack of respect Vanilla Sky gets or how Avatar is (disappointingly) just Pocahontas with blue people. I won't love every movie I talk about but I won't hate everything either. My opinion is not always the popular one, but it's never against the grain just to be against the grain. I will vary my topics and types of film. Most of all I will be honest and happy because I am discussing something I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment